Sunday, August 22, 2010

Is your spouse against you homeschooling your children?

My husband isn't too happy %26amp; does not want our sons home schooled. I feel with home school groups etc...they will do well. How have you %26amp; your spouse talked over home schooling your child or children?Is your spouse against you homeschooling your children?
Well, I just didn't homeschool until my husband was on board. Once he was on board, however, we went gung ho. =)





I researched a lot. I gave him a lot of statistical research. I talked about it a lot. Then I asked him to pray about it. We never prayed together, though that would have been a good thing to do.





It is very true with homeschooling there are so many socialization opportunities you have to pick and choose between them otherwise you find all you're doing is socializing and not homeschooling. =D It also allows your child to develop into who they really are, not what peer pressure is pushing them into.





It's been a very positive thing for our family. =) My husband couldn't be more thrilled. We originally started as a one-year experiment, but very quickly - within a couple of months - my husband came behind us in full support. He loves homeschooling, simply because he can see for himself the positive impact it has had on our children. Hooray! =)


Is your spouse against you homeschooling your children?
I had a hard time persuading my husband at first. I talked to him a lot about the problems at school, and the response I was getting on different issues with them. This went on for a while and I think he thought I was exaggerating or mistelling him a little. After a while I told him I really needed some support at a meeting with the school.





He came down, listened to what they had to say and was very polite and respectful to the principal.. I really thought he wasn't supportive at all, until we got to the school gate. He just looked at me and said that we had better take our child out of school because he didn't want people so inept and illogical overseeing his education.





I think the key was to get him to look clearly at the problem and try to find a solution. So whatever your reasons for homeschooling - they need to become his isssues too, and then you can make the decision together and hopefully you will have a very supportive partner for homeschooling.


I hope this helps a little, if not could you suggest a trial period, as I also found that our family members who were initially very negative came around very quickly as the children were so much happier and it was easy to see they really enjoy their educatio now.
I know where you are coming from. My husband at first wasn't crazy about the idea of homeschooling, but the more research I did and presented to him the more he is starting to feel it was the right decision for our family. This is our first year homeschooling and I told him we can try it for 1 year and see how it goes and if at the end of the year we both agree it hasn't improved our family and her education we can enroll her back into public school. My advice would be to do as much research as you can of the pros and cons to homeschool and talk alot with him. In my opinion I wouldn't suggest homeschooling unless he does agree to it, because it can make the whole process harder on everyone. I wish you luck.
I wanted to homeschool when our son was in 3rd grade. My husband and I discussed it every school year until the 8th grade. That was the year that my husband changed jobs and went to work for the public school system. He came home from work about 3 weeks into the school year and said ';I think it is time we homeschool.';. I am a packrat and had all the paperwork that I had filled out 5 years earlier. I changed a few dates, put it in envelope and we were homeschooling within 2 weeks.





I would not recommend homeschooling unless both of you are convinced it is the best way for your children to get an education. There will be bad days and you will need the support and someone to remind you what your goals are for your family.
My husband didn't think I should home school our children, he thought they wouldn't get a proper education! He's still not crazy about it but is SLOWLY realizing that our children DO get a proper education. You should have seen his face when our oldest got a ';wonderful'; score on her SAT's, on her first attempt :) :) She is now a University freshman and is doing great! Each year, my children take a few co-op classes, which is good for both socialization and subjects that I don't feel confident (or have forgotten) in teaching.. They are also involved in many outside activities like, soccer, softball, and varied youth activities....
My husband and I were against it at first (my sister was home schooling at the time). Then we started having trouble with the public schools and started researching it and talking about it. My husband was pretty much telling me to do what I felt led to do with our kids and he would support it. It was after my child was beat up on the bus for the third time and the pre K teacher (I still want to see her medical degree) told us our son was ADHD that we made the decision to pull them.
my husband was the 1st one to be ALL for the homeschooling. But itssomething we were BOTH for before we started homeschooling.

No comments:

Post a Comment