Sunday, August 22, 2010

Can I claim my disabled Spouse on taxes?

My wife is on disability SSI she is 33 years old I am 35 and employed her disability does not nearly cover her expenses I pay at least 75% of the bills can I claim her as a dependant?Can I claim my disabled Spouse on taxes?
NO%26gt; you cannot claim her as a dependent, but you can file a joint return and take her exemption as well as yours. You may even qualify for an extra exemption for disability depending on extent of it. Filing MFJ is usually most advantageous way to file. You get benefit of higher standard deduction as well as the two exemptions.Can I claim my disabled Spouse on taxes?
You are required to file either as Married filing jointly or you must prepare two separate returns using the married filing separately option for each of you.


Nine times out of ten, you will be better off filing a joint return. Your wife's disability is more or less immaterial.


I would suggest that you file as ';Married Filing Jointly.';
You should file jointly with your spouse, not claim her as an exemption.
  • covergirl
  • facial
  • No comments:

    Post a Comment