Sunday, August 22, 2010

If one spouse works out of the home, should they still have to do all the housework?

I run a business out of my home (freelance writing and copy editing) and I put in an 8-10 hour day just as he does. He still expects me to have an immaculate house and dinner on the table when he walks through the door (btw, the nature of his job keeps me from knowing WHEN he'll be home). He says I should have to do more because I'm there more than he is, but I work too. WTH is his deal?If one spouse works out of the home, should they still have to do all the housework?
You have earned the right to hire out some of that stuff.


JMHO.


xoxoxoIf one spouse works out of the home, should they still have to do all the housework?
He must not feel like you do work, and that your primary responsibility is his needs, and the house work. My husband was similar to this too. I used to do all his scheduling, bookkeeping, accounts payable/receivable, payroll, and take supplies to him whenever he needed them. He used ask me what I did all day if he came home to a less than stellar house. So I had enough (after 5 years) and started working outside the home, leaving him to take care of all his crap himself. Now he knows. Now since I am working outside the home, he even helps with the house work.


Unfortunately, in your situation that wouldn't work, so the alternative is to have a frank discussion with him. Show him what you do. If you can, have him help you. Then maybe he will see that writing takes time. It's not something that you can stop and start at will, it's something you have to follow through and complete.
Tell him that you both work the equivalent of a full-time job and that the housework will therefore be shared equally between you. Invite him to be part of the process (i.e. sitting down and making a list of all the chores that need to be done and deciding who will do what), but if he refuses, you will draw up a schedule on your own. Hang it on the fridge, and if his share doesn't get done, neither does yours. For example, if you have agreed that you'll cook and he'll wash the dishes, the first time the dishes are not done, there'll be no dinner cooked the next day. You get the picture. When he runs out of clean underwear, he'll get it too.
Well I think first you should remind him about your work days too.





Also, point out how unfair that is...running a house is a full time job in itself...there are 168 hours in a week and how many of that is he working? Even if it's 80 (which I still give him is a lot) BUT, your ';job'; is longer.





Show him your wage and income and how you're contributing to the house. Find a compromise. Get some more communication going...you can't have dinner ready when you don't know when to have it. It would really make me upset to have that expectation when I had no time to shoot for.





I think you both should share the responsiblity...for instance if you have a washer nad dryer at home you could take on most of the laundry (b/c you can get up and change it out) while you work. Maybe for dinners you can make something that is just easy to warm up like cassarolls.





Good luck!
No, this is not an appropriate or fair arrangement. Not under any circumstances, even if you were a full fledged house wife. A housewife works long hours, and if children are involved work 247, with nighttime on-call duties with the children. Even were you a housewife, your husband should still help out around the house. Not just in the yard, but inside too, to give you a break.





I strongly encourage you to sit down and discuss your feelings and needs with your husband. You both need to communicate your perceptions and expectations of marriage and then find ways to compromise in such a way as both can feel satisfied and fairly treated.





I wish you both the best.
my Dad is like that. Okies this is what you should do, Both of you need to do the share of work at the house.i mean by every other say you should cook and the days you dont cook have him do it. DO the samething with the cleaningf =) Good Luck
No, you shouldn't have to do it all....my my dear you do have a lot of relationship problems.
Get a maid if you can afford one!





Have her come 3 days a week to help with the house, dinner is on him!
You both work, therefore chores and such should be split evenly too.
Yet another problem single people don't have.





Score one for the unmarrieds
50/50 or hire it out.
No!
Not ALL of it. Some.
  • covergirl
  • facial
  • No comments:

    Post a Comment