Wednesday, November 23, 2011

I am trying to get a car loan, can I put someone who is NOT a spouse as a co-borrower on the loan application?

I am trying to get a car loan, and I am wondering if I can put my mother as a CO-BORROWER, NOT CO-SIGNER on the loan application. She is on long-term disability right now, and is getting benefits for that, will this prevent her from being allowed to be a co-borrower?





Thanks!I am trying to get a car loan, can I put someone who is NOT a spouse as a co-borrower on the loan application?
Sorry but disability and social security are not considered a source of income. It's been a rarity for a lender to allow it to be used. And then it was only subprime lenders. But not today. Everything has changed. Even they will not allow it to be used as additional income anymore.





Also, there is no difference between a co-borrower and a cosigner. If two people fill out the same credit app, they are equal partners in trying to make a purchase. If it's approved, they both get credit on the three reporting bureaus. If it's declined, they both take a hit on their credit reports.I am trying to get a car loan, can I put someone who is NOT a spouse as a co-borrower on the loan application?
You're wrong, there is no negative effect on a credit report for loans being declined (there is a tiny hit for inquiries, but that would be the same if the loan was approved or declined).





Also, lenders HAVE TO CONSIDER SSN, child support, disability, etc as income.

Report Abuse



To most lenders and in most states there isn't such thing as a co-signer (promises to pay if the borrower defaults) and all parties on an auto loan are co-borrowers (equally responsible to repay the loan). I understand co-signers are more common in back East but in California all buyers are co-borrowers for auto loans.





It is really up to a lender to determine if you and your mother qualify under their guidelines. You might consider going to the bank or credit union first and seeing how you might qualify for an auto loan, you might get a better deal than the dealer. If the dealer can offer you better terms, then go with their financing.

No comments:

Post a Comment